Today I made a card for a friend who hasn’t been feeling well in the hopes that it would bring a bit of cheer despite all the sniffling and sneezing they have going on.
It seems I’m always caught a little off guard when someone falls ill and I never have a card ready – so I had to keep this card super simple. Even so, I think it’s just adorable.
It’s hard to capture in pictures, but I added some shimmer to the umbrella so that it looks a little wet and like the sun might be starting to shine just a bit and reflect off the raindrops. There’s also a bit of shiny black glaze on the mouse’s nose and eyes. It’s these little touches that can take a simple card to the next level.
Create your background:
1. Cut a piece of white card stock just slightly smaller than your card base (I did 4 x 5.25 in).
2. Secure your panel to your deckle edge masking stencil with removable tape.
3. Ink blend your background through the stencil. I used blues on top and green on the bottom to represent sky and grass, but you could do any background here you like.
4. Apply anti-static powder to your panel.
5. Use VersaMark ink to stamp a few raindrops on the panel and heat emboss them in white embossing powder (clear powder would be cool too)!
Create your sentiment:
6. Stamp your sentiment on a strip of white cardstock and cut the end at an angle.
Create your mouse:
7. Stamp your mouse onto a piece of Copic Xpress It card stock with a Copic-friendly ink. I used Gina K Amalgam Obsidian. Allow it a few minutes to dry. Tip: I found that the Copic Xpress It card stock requires drying time even for Copic-friendly inks – so be sure to give it a minute or two.
8. Color your mouse with Copic markers.
9. Use a black glaze pen to dot the eyes and mouth of the mouse.
10. Cover the umbrella with some shimmer using a Wink of Stella shimmer pen.
11. Cut out the mouse image.
Assemble your card:
11. Add foam tape to the back of your mouse and your sentiment and adhere them to your background panel.
12. Use foam adhesive to adhere the entire panel to your card front.
I just love this card and I think the little mouse and his rainbow umbrella are sure to bring a smile. Hopefully, with the help of this card, my friend will be feeling better soon!
All the best,